Wednesday, May 20, 2009

British Things That Make You Go Hmmm #3

What's up with the dudes out collecting scrap metal in Birmingham? Are they like this all over Britain?

In case you do not have a clue what I am on about basically every other day (or so it seems) some guys in a British version of a pickup truck drive up and down the streets really slow playing some trumpety sounding tune while screaming something that I for the life of me cannot grasp over and over and over...


Do they expect me to run out waving my hands emphatically in the air because I heard their bellows?

I mean if I have some scrap metal I leave it out in front of the house for them to take anyway. I have put things outside and had people come and take them literally right after I plopped it down.

I have also came close to having a physical altercation with one of these brutes a couple years back. He basically wandered into a private area of my property and decided he was going to help himself to some metal items I had there. I saw him from upstairs and came down as he was putting it into the back of his truck and asked him what he was doing trespassing on my property and stealing my belongings.

He got really pissed and took the piece out of the truck and said, 'Here, take it!'

To which I told him its not the point of the item its the fact that he opened a door and walked into my property and removed something without asking first. And I jokingly informed him that where I come from you can get shot in the back for something like that...

So he looks at me and says, 'So why don't you go back there then!'

And I told him frankly that I was here doing research on the 2 wars America whooped Britain in and the other one that we saved their ass in...

Don't think he knew what I was on about...

And I guess I could consider the following to be 'Hmmm #4' but I don't want to because it is so small...

But is the proper way you secure a towed vehicle here in the UK??


No comments:

Post a Comment